MGSE ECO 6501
The emphasis will be on applied decision-making, using business cases. At the end of the course, students should be able :
- to understand the mechanism of simple pricing techniques
- to understand complex pricing (bundling, tying)
- to understand the concept of platforms
- to explain platform opportunities and creation
- to identify platforms
- to identify the main issue related to platforms strategy
- to analyse platform strategy
- to evaluate platform opportunity on a market
- to understand macroeconomic analyses produced by professional economists.
- Knowledge: pricing strategy, cost, discrimination, bundling, tying, quality
- Understanding: how pricing techniques affect consumer behavior, markets, strategies
- Analysis: when to use particular pricing techniques
- Knowledge: network effects, multi-sided strategy, platform
- Understanding: how platform strategy affects market architecture and industries, when platform strategies may arise
- Analysis: how to identify a platform strategy, how to counter a platform strategy
- Knowledge: main macroeconomic indicators, basic macroeconomic models and policies
- Understanding: how macroeconomic policy impacts business performance
- Analysis: how to use macroeconomic data to make better business decisions.
This course is designed to provide MBA students with a working knowledge of economics, with two main topics:
- Managerial Economics applies microeconomics to business firms and to markets. The aim is to understand how firms and markets behave from an economic point of view. This part focuses on new form of competition. It will bring students to understand modern pricing techniques and the economics of platforms.
- Macroeconomics provides a general framework for management strategy: economic outlook, etc.
The perspective is international, with special mention made to the European situation.
No prerequisites in management or economics. At the beginning of the course, the instructors will make sure they adapt the course to the actual knowledge of participants.
eMBA-1: To develop core managerial competencies
Managerial economics: case studies; report on platform strategy
Macroeconomics : case studies (in class); short report on an economic issue in India (linked to the trip to India)
Lecture, case studies, classroom experiment, preparing the trip to India