MPFE ECO 7001
The course intends to study the economic theory in order to apply them to managerial decisions. Additionally, the course aims to help the understanding of the industry structure and the managers’ strategic behaviour. It puts emphasis in the complexity and changing business environment.
The course assesses the different problems faced by managers in particular in the ICT sector. Topics covered include:
• Consumer behaviour, utility and price elasticity
• Production function and the market definition with a particular attention to the economics of scope, scale and density
• Pricing and price discrimination
• Game theory and the strategy of the firms
• Network industries and telecommunication sector and two-side market
• Analysis of the innovative ICT industries such as social utility websites, online music industry and so forth.
The mid-term control and the final control comprise each 40 percent of the final grade. Group Participation comprises 20 percent of the final grade.
Classes will concentrate on both lectures and student presentations. Students will present a project during the class for 15 or 20 minutes based on topics defined by the professor. Students have to read extra readings such as articles and official reports.
Master of Science